Free School Meals
Please be aware that when your child moves to secondary school, you must reapply for Free School Meals. Any eligibility you may have had at primary school does not carry over.
Parents can apply for Free School Meals using the link here.
Your child can get a free school meal each day if you receive any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (as long as you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and you don’t get more than £16,190 a year)
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Universal Credit (with annual earned income of no more than £7,400 after tax and not including any benefits you get).
Apply today if you receive any of these benefits. It takes 5 mins and in most cases Barnet Council can tell you straightaway if your child can get free meals at school.
If you have recently become eligible, then sometimes we need to scan documents to help your claim to be processed – let us know if this is the case.
Have your National Insurance number or Home Office number to hand when you apply.
If your child is eligible for free school meals, they’ll remain eligible until March 2023, or until they finish their current phase of schooling (primary or secondary), if that’s after the end of March 2023.